DIY Project: Instagram Notes
I’ve been hanging onto this little old business card holder for over a year now. I had plans to turn it into a mini album of sorts for Jay one day and just never found the right project. My friend Danielle Donaldson of Wish Bliss Studio told me about how awesome the instagram app for the iphone is, and ever since, I’ve been taking more and more of these little square pictures. It dawned on me that these would be the perfect kind of pictures for Jay’s album. Everyday ordinary shots of us taken with my iphone at random times throughout the year. I’m just starting the album now but I’m thinking by Christmas I’ll have it all filled up and it will make the perfect little stocking stuffer. Or maybe I’ll end up just using shots of Ashleigh and let her give it to him for Christmas. Not sure yet… (by the way he doesn’t read this blog, he rarely even turns on a computer, so no worries about spoiling the surprise).
Here’s a look at how this little album is coming along
1) I created a template (2″ x 3.5″ – the same size as a standard business card)
2. Next I found an Instagram Photo of Ashleigh and clipped it to my template. Note: the original size of an instagram photo is slightly larger than 2″. I clipped my image to the template then used the arrow keys to nudge the photo around until it was centered.
3. I added some words, just some of the little phrases and things she says at this age (the card reads: “higher! push me higher! daddy, I want to go way, way, up there!”)
4. Then I printed it out at home using my Epson Artisan 835 printer on 4×6 Kirkland (costco) brand photo paper.
5. I cut the note card to size using my Fiskars rotary trimmer. I lined the edge of the instagram photo then trimmed vertically first. Then I used the guides on my rotary trimmer to cut the card right at 2″ x 3.5″
6. I grabbed that old business card holder I bought at Target forever ago (PS I was there last week and they still sell these, in different colors. They’re over by the office supplies).
7. I slid the note card into the little sleeve and it was a touch too long. I trimmed it just below the dots. (I will probably go back and adjust the dots on my template and reprint so they aren’t all the way on the edge like you see in the photo below).
I’m pretty sure Jay is going to love this. And it’s manly enough to keep out with “his” stuff – well except maybe the teal blue elastic but oh well, it’ll work. I’ll have to post an update later this year when the album is finished.
These little cards would make great lunchbox notes, gift tags, briefcase notes – Oh! you could even take a semi risque photo of yourself (if you’re using your own phone) and add some juicy words and tuck it into your husband’s pants pocket or tape it to his bathroom mirror. That would be kinda fun!
If you’re interested in creating your own little album or instagram note cards, you can download the template here.
Posted by Molly | 14 comments